catalytic converters

Thursday, May 26, 2005

My Final Catalytic Conversion

For two years, you may have wondered why I chose “Catalytic Converters” as my column title. To give you a brief background, the catalytic converter was my first idea for my research project during the second year. A catalytic converter is an equipment used in cars to transform harmful gases such as carbon monoxide into beneficial substances like carbon dioxide and water. Its mechanisms and benefits both to human life and the environment fascinated me most. Plus, a wide array of materials could be used as deCOrizer, making it a versatile project. Mine was kamantigi, a flowering plant that was believed to produce hydrogen peroxide and which was suggested to me by Prof. Quintana. I named my catalytic converter “LCAD” – Low Cost Automobile DeCOrizer (Decarbonmonoxerizer)!

But the bright promise that I saw in my project seemed to fade its radiance. During the course of planning, communicating with engineers, and reviewing related literature, I encountered a series of problems. The laboratory equipment required for chemical analysis (for the presence of H2O2) were not available here in UPLB. The procedure was very complicated, and a successful finding, whether the technology is feasible or not, was quite obscure, unpredictable. And so, to the last minute before presenting the final proposals to Ma’am Dimaandal, I chose to defend a different project. Thank God I prepared two project proposals.

When I entered third year and was promoted to associate editor, our editor Gillian Abello asked me to write a column and think of a column name. During that time I was in the middle of my research on Azospirilla, but the ghost of the catalytic converter and the lessons it imparted to me continued to haunt my spirit. So I chose “Catalytic Converters.”

So what’s the point of narrating my experience with these complex contraptions? From these times I realized the common mistakes of man, the virtues that a student usually lack, the lessons that a Ruralite must discover. I myself admit that I possess some of these negative external traits and insights about things and life as a whole, and in my four years in Rural I tried to improve myself, metamorphose from a young innocent boy in the first year to a man that is armed with the character that is needed to reach the highest in our hierarchy of needs – fulfillment, self-actualization. I realized that I need, that we need a total catalytic conversion – a process of transformation that does not need too much energy to accomplish, does not require pain and disappointments in order to learn and change.

I thought that writing would be my instrument to catalyze my dream conversion. Enzymes use catalysts to speed up the rate of reaction; I used my column to convey to you the vital messages that we need for change. You may have observed that all of my columns deal with morality, social issues, and attitudes. From my first ever column on remedying social diseases to my latest column on becoming an authentic sobresaliente person, my “catalytic converter” and I never failed to include morsels of lessons, advices, and attacks that Ruralites should take, receive, and apply to their lives. I chose to write about these things because I wanted to help in the transformation of our men, especially the youth, the Ruralites. Humans have a continuous need to change their lives for the better. A poster in a barbershop reminded me: People can alter their lives by altering their attitudes. This is the real solution. This thinking helped me improve myself even faster and in enormous amounts, and I want to share this change with others. My heart is filled with love and thankfulness for those who wholeheartedly read the column and received the values from my converter. I hope that you will continue to put in your minds and hearts the importance of synergy, the value of social awareness, the ideal of independence, the power of prayer, and many other lessons that I have written about for my three years in the Ruralite.

Now, I will share the penultimate idea in my mind. Let us try to eliminate mediocrity. This may sound painful to some and boastful to close-minded people, but mediocrity is monstrous evil, especially for us students blessed with gifts, students of UP Rural High. Never again should we be contented with a passing mark, or meet the deadline just to fulfill the requirements. A person should be aiming for much higher – an 80%, 90%, 100% or even a 105% if there is a bonus. We should not be complacent with mediocrity, rather get rid of it! This does not mean that a man should be so much ambitious, trying to reach goals that are unreachable. A man should open his eyes to his surroundings, and look for opportunities that are within his reach. If something is possible, make it possible, as long as you have the power. I believe that we are in Rural to work for the best; we were blessed with wide capacity to learn and amazing talents to share with others. We are given the best education and the widest exposure, so let us not waste these blessings from God and our Filipino taxpayers. Of course, He will guide and help us reach our aspirations. If all Ruralites and the entire humanity have this win-win attitude, we will definitely triumph not only as students, businessmen, and professionals, but also as fulfilled sons of God.

And my last words of wisdom: do not be afraid and sad whenever problems and failure come your way. According to my pastor friend, our disappointments are God’s appointments for us. I have met a number of disappointments and regrets this past week, but I know that God purposefully made all these things to happen for my good. That construct removed all my sorrows and transformed me to become a joyful person, amidst all the heart-breaking results and bittersweet moments. Now I proudly say to you that God appointed these things to happen, and God will appoint me in greater levels on my long adventurous journey called life.

I hope that there will be someone to continue my crusade for the catalytic conversion of our youth especially the Ruralites, but I assure you that as I enter a wider and more complex realm, this crusade will not vanish in my being as long as I live. Although this will be my final in Rural, this will never be my last catalytic conversion.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home